June 22, 2007 - You can now order your own copy of the paperback version of THE BIG ROW! See Post for June 22nd!

View and Sign Mr. Frei's Guestbook, or send msg to ktylerconk@aol.com!!
Is this what stalked Mr. Frei?!
Check out the video of Mr. Frei's triumphant return to Baltimore!
Read about THE BIG ROW in THE BALTIMORE MESSENGER
Al Lyd Champagne Check out the video of Mr. Frei's interview with Fox 45 news!


The Big Row Poster

Sunday, April 30, 2006

 

Gotta Start....

It's Sunday night, Gentle Reader...and tomorrow is May 1. It's time I started to get into training.

Sure, up to now I've talked a good game, but the truth is that by the time I get home after my day with my students, I'm pretty bushed. I almost always find something less intense than training to see my way to bedtime; grading papers, rearranging the sock drawer, reading, waiting for Brian's next snow report from Mamouth... May 5th marks three months until the launch and, frankly, I've been tempted to buy into the notion that some supporters have offered - that I will get in shape 'on the way' to Baltimore. Now. I'm a glass-is-half-full kind of guy, but even I can see the fallacy of this notion. It's akin to training for a Tyson fight thinking that if you make it to the third round, you'll find your rhythm.

Mike wouldn't wait that long, nor will my itinerary. So "starting tomorrow...."

My students and I are currently reading "The Merchant of Venice," and I am reminded of Portia's lament to her maidservant, Nerissa, as she says, "If to do were as easy as to know what were good to do, chapels would be churches, and poor mens' cottages princes' palaces." Of course, the eighth grade translation is, "Easier said than done." I know I have to start; it's just hard getting started.

On a more upbeat note, tonight I took delivery of the "I'm Pulling With Mr. Frei" buttons, and tomorrow begins the distribution to those who have already pledged. Be patient, Generous Donors. To use another MOV quote (this time Jessica to her fiance, Lorenzo), "It will be worth the pains." The buttons, pictured elsewhere on this site, show a silhouette of yours truly against an ethereal backdrop under the "I'm Pulling for Mr. Frei" copy, which is rendered in a pudgy typeface evocative of my present physical condition. Nonetheless, for a few pennies per mile, you're in. If you'd like to confirm your pledge and can't see another means of doing so on the site, just email me at alfrei@earthlink.net and I'll log you into my "book."

Today I drove over the Severn River bridge on my way to/from Annapolis. While the Severn is south of my intended route (unless I'm feeling saucy on August 25 or so, and want to keep going), I'm struck by how I now look at bodies of water with the question, "How's the water for rowing?" As I slowed on the bridge, I saw that it was perfect: a gentle northerly breeze, a very moderate chop, brilliant sunshine. It was so nice, in fact, that I only returned from my reverie when jarred by the horn, flashing lights, and massive grill of the Lincoln Navigator seemingly in the back seat of my Mini. Sheesh. It's not like I was on a cell phone or something, or practicing the mandolin. But that's another story.

For another time.

Tomorrow, I train. Honest.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?