June 22, 2007 - You can now order your own copy of the paperback version of THE BIG ROW! See Post for June 22nd!

View and Sign Mr. Frei's Guestbook, or send msg to ktylerconk@aol.com!!
Is this what stalked Mr. Frei?!
Check out the video of Mr. Frei's triumphant return to Baltimore!
Read about THE BIG ROW in THE BALTIMORE MESSENGER
Al Lyd Champagne Check out the video of Mr. Frei's interview with Fox 45 news!


The Big Row Poster

Sunday, July 02, 2006

 

On (and Over) the Water!

Greetings, Gentle Reader,

"OK, so what's with that cryptic title?" you ask.

Tomorrow, Peg and I leave for France. That's the 'over the water' reference, and as I write this Peg is filling her "water bottle" with some liquid courage. My 1,000 hours of piloting time (mostly aerobatics) do little to assuage her angst of flying, perhaps because she knows I live for the PA anouncement, "Does anyone here know how to fly a plane?" She knows that Evil Twin Skippy would love to try the elegant eight-point roll just before squeeking it on; yes, she's right to pour the Grey Goose.

So...expect two-weeks of down-time on the blog, unless she can help me work some magic from abroad. As you might imagine, two weeks in France will do little to foster serious training for the row; I'll "curl" the croissant to my mouth, and of course "press" the soft creamery butter onto the baguette...but other than that, and a lot of walking, I may be starting from scratch when I get home. I did row Peg in a boat at the Palace of Versailles, but that was then and this is now. We just need to get over the Big Pond safely tomorrow. I have little interest in paddling a life raft in the middle of the Atlantic.

As for "on the water," I was at Lake George this weekend, and today rowed 26.8 miles in 6:32 through all kinds of conditions: a glorious tailwind with Big Waves (saw close to 7 mph for a while on the GPS!), a stiff crosswind (maintained 4.5 mph), and a long pull home against the same wind (3 - 3.4 mph). All of this is a stark reminder of the enormous role that weather will play on my trip. I feel that I'll need to average 3.8 - 4.2 mph if I am to complete this trip in the time available, and the fact is that 4.2 is quite sustainable under tail / crosswind conditions; I know it isn't sustainable over an 8-10 hour day with the kind of headwind I faced today.

But I did make two breakthrough discoveries. First, the aforementioned foam padding for my seat is indeed a miracle material. After more than six hours, it did not break down or loose its cushioning properties under the stress of my somewhat Super-Sized derriere, and as I write this (even after a 6 hour drive back to Baltimore), the buns feel like they could get up and do it again. The question remains, of course, could they do it again after that, and again, and again, etc. Don't know, of course, but this is the best stuff I've found yet, and hope springs eternal. Also, the efficacy of my gym training is, I think, validated: arms, legs, and shoulders could definitely get up and do it again...and, I think, again and again.

All in all, I'm feeling bullish about the trip; today was a vigorous on-the-water workout, and I feel good.

Secondly, remember the electrolyte globules? Fabulous!! They're called "Sharkies," available at REI, and they are quite restorative, easy to eat while underway, do not cause thirst, and - while this may be a backhanded compliment - they don't taste lousy. Of course, popping a little shark in your mouth each hour is a too-frequent reminder of the peril that lurks below. It may be that they were intended for hikers, not rowers.

The Pledge Paddle continues to creep towards $9k; thank you, new crew members! We're on our way to helping some great kids, and I couldn't be more grateful for your largesse. I worry a bit that a two-week hiatus from the blog might slow down this Freight Train of Fun, but that worry presumes that these weekly ramblings have an iota to do with pledges. I think not. But it is fun.

My morning row through one of the world's most scenic and pristine bodies of water reminded me of the awe and the heartbreak I will undoubtedly feel during this venture. I expect that I will see shoreline and waters that will rival Lake George...waterways and shoreline that will appear to have been untouched by our consumptive ways. I also know that I will see the effects of our lifestyles and the economy that supports us at most every turn as well. The foil wrapper on the Rice Krispie Treat I ate on the way home will outlive me - and perhaps my children; the packaging of our lives is ubquitous in nature. Reading about the ecologocal trajectory of the Chesapeake Bay is depressing indeed, and even my beloved Lake George is under unprecedented stress. These things weigh heavily now, and seeing them unfold at 4.2 mph might be daunting indeed.

So...for now...off to France. I look forward to finding a local dive during France's next World Cup game and cheering with the crowd; do we raise a saucy Merlot instead of a Sam Adams? I hope they will cheer as loudly for George Hincappie (sp?), the Yank leading the Tour as of tonight.

Stay well, Gentle Readers, and I'll look forward to re-engaging wth you on July 18th.

Here's to Foam and Globules!

Mr. Frei





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?