June 22, 2007 - You can now order your own copy of the paperback version of THE BIG ROW! See Post for June 22nd!

View and Sign Mr. Frei's Guestbook, or send msg to ktylerconk@aol.com!!
Is this what stalked Mr. Frei?!
Check out the video of Mr. Frei's triumphant return to Baltimore!
Read about THE BIG ROW in THE BALTIMORE MESSENGER
Al Lyd Champagne Check out the video of Mr. Frei's interview with Fox 45 news!


The Big Row Poster

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 

T-Minus....

Greetings, Gentle Reader.

We (you!) have pushed the Pledge Paddle to over $11,000! In about 32 hours I'll be pushing away from the Troy dock, and at this point each mile- should I make it all the way - will yield about $24 for the fellows at Boys' Latin. At 4 mph, that's about $96 per hour...almost a professional-grade salary. To say the least, I'm motivated...and tremendously grateful to all of you who have taken an interest in this venture. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

If my training over the last ten days has illminated anything (other than the myriad weak points of this aging body), it has demonstrated the sheer magnitude of how far 450 miles is in a row boat. As I've suggested before, this trip will need to be attempted as a series of 32- mile day trips if I am to make it all the way; 450 miles seems dauntingly far, but 32 miles each day seems plausible, dontcha' think?

Starting on Saturday, Peg and Kathy will be updating the blog each day as best they can, and while their accounts of my adventure will be in third person and necessarily abridged, you'll at least not be kept in suspense as to the size of the check you will be writing. Tonight I saw Brian's dog attired in the "I'm Waiting for Mr. Frei" T-shirt...and aside from the questionable ethic of contributing to the doggie garnment industry, I have to admit that it was darned cute and placed some money in the till.

I visited the Troy Dockmaster for a second time this week, and the City of Troy has bequeathed a Key to the Dock to me so that I might get a very early start on Saturday. Not exactly a key to the city, but more useful.

Tomorrow, the day before I start, is my 55th birthday. Family and friends will be gathering for pizza and creme brulee by the lake- the final Training Meal of Choice- and I suspect I'll start the day with a final short row to say goodbys to my favorite summer places. Lake George has been a great - if an unrealistic - environment in which to prepare. Last night was spent on an island about 15 miles up the lake with Peg, Kathy, & friends. I know I'm only deluding myself if I think that this counted as "preparation" for my future overnights at docks and campsites along the way. We enjoyed all the comforts of home and a perfect evening punctuated by a tremendous thunderstorm that dropped virtually no rain. Certainly, once I start, I will not be so lucky. The Weather Channel promises a pretty good day on Saturday: cooler, with a light wind from the NNE, which is perfect for my purposes.

In these final hours before my departure I'm receiving all sorts of advice about items to bring along. This well-intentioned counsel is bumping into my determination to keep the boat as light as possible. Tonight's suggestions included a flare gun ( I will only shoot a hole in the boat, or myself), a 20-foot telescoping flagpole with distress flags, wing mirrors so I won't have to keep turning around, and a wheeled dolly to portage the boat if necessary. I would note that none of these suggestions convey a sense confidence, nor do any of them include items that might facilitate celebration in Baltimore should I make it. Sigh. (It's Shark Week on "The Discovery Channel," and I'm suprised no none has offered ideas for protection on that score as well.)

Gentle Reader, unless I can haul my aching carcass into a marina that has an internet connection, this may well be my last comunication until I get to Baltimore. If I can locate such a resource, you'll be hearing from me. If you hear from me in this way, however, it will be an at opportunity cost of $96/ hour...or it might mean that I still have retained sense enough to wait out bad weather or to listen to my body. Either way, stay in touch through my able surrogates, and know that your interest and support have made this adventure much more than I ever hoped it could have been, even without having yet pulled a stroke south.

Thanks for joining me. I'll not be rowing alone.Kathy asks me to remind you that merchandise is still available" "The mall is still open!" Sheesh.

Blisters are calluses...I'm as ready as I can be.

Latah!

Mr. Frei





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?